Although the exterior of this building has been completely ruined and torn down over the years, the impressive two-story building once stood as a focal point of downtown Rutherfordton. The exterior featured blue granite, two Ionic columns and a pedimented arch above the entablature.
It was built during the reorganization of Citizens Bank and Trust Company in 1915. Citizens Bank merged with Commercial Bank in 1928 and become Rutherford County Bank & Trust Company. This bank closed in 1930 and eventually the building became home to Union Trust Company, featured here.