Land was given to the congregation by Russian immigrant William Thompson, a benefactor to many other church in town including First Baptist Church. Thompson, who died at the age of 37 in 1843, is buried in the Rutherfordton City Cemetery. in his will, Thompson bequeathed funds for maintenance and upkeep of the church building as well as aid for future pastors.
The very first building was two-story frame structure on N. Washington Street. For several years the church building was also home to the Rutherfordton Female Academy, chartered by the state in 1837. The church had a separate entrance located on the south side of the building that faced a path known as "Academy Alley." The school was co-owner of the church until 1885, but still continued to operate at the church until 1897, when the school was disbanded.
Just like other churches in the area, growth after the Civil War prompted the need for a larger facility. The new frame structure was built on the same lot as the original structure in 1883. It was painted white and featured a steeple above the main entrance.
In the 1950s the frame church was replaced with the modern brick building that stands today. The first service conducted in the new building was held on August 10, 1952.