The first deed registered to the church is dated 1833. It was located on N. Washington Street and consisted of a log structure that was later removed. In 1854, another property was purchased on N. Washington Street closer to downtown Rutherfordton. Little is known about this church facility. Six years later the church acquired the current site on Main Street. It was owned by Harvey D. Carrier, builder of the Carrier houses that sit across the street from the church.
The Civil War delayed initial construction of the church until 1878 when a frame structure was erected. In 1923 the church decided a larger facility was needed due to record enrollment and cramped quarters. The first church service was held in the current facility on April 19, 1925.